What is it?
The Al Smith Individual Artist Fellowships are $7,500 unrestricted awards given to Kentucky artists who have achieved a high level of excellence and creativity in their work.
Professional Kentucky artists (writers, composers, choreographers, and visual and media artists) who are responsible for creating their own work, not interpreting the work of others.
Visual artists, craft artists and media artists (film, video and audio) can apply in odd-numbered years (2013, 2015, etc.).
Writers (fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction and play/screenwriting), composers and choreographers can apply in even-numbered years (2012, 2014, etc.).
Whats the deadline to apply?
March 15, 2013, at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time
How do I apply?
- Carefully review the program guidelines. [Download Adobe Reader]
- Prepare work samples for submission.
- Complete the online application.
- Mail us a printout of your application with your work samples.
If I receive an award, what are my responsibilities?
- Sign a grant agreement form (GAF).
- Submit a final report at the end of the fiscal year. (Questions?)
- Acknowledge the Kentucky Arts Council when promoting your work. (How?)
- Let your legislators know that you've received this honor and invite them to
events that feature your work. (Who are my elected officials?)
If I have questions, who can help me?
Individual Artist Director
888-833-2787 (toll free)
502-564-8110, ext. 479