KENTUCKY ARTS COUNCIL NEWS RELEASE
Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet
|March 2, 2016
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
|Media Contact: Tom Musgrave
502-564-3757, ext. 489
By the numbers – Fun facts about
Kentucky Crafted: The Market 2016
FRANKFORT, Ky. The largest gathering of Kentucky artists under one roof will convene
at the Lexington Convention Center March 5-6 as the Kentucky Arts Council kicks off the 34th annual Kentucky Crafted: The Market.
The Market is Kentucky’s premiere arts marketplace for the best of the Commonwealth’s art, craft, artisanal
food products, books and music. Visitors to The Market can also participate in hands-on art activities and hear
a wide variety of musical acts each day on the Kentucky Stage.
- 1 – Only one artist, woodcarver Tim Hall of Ravenna, has exhibited at every Market
since the show’s inception in 1982.
- 2 – There are two full days of shopping, live music, fun hands-on activities, Kentucky Proud
food products and more.
- 3 – Visit The Market’s Hands-On Activities area for family friendly craft projects and lessons
from three organizations – The Explorium of Lexington, Josephine Sculpture Park in Frankfort
and the Kentucky Folklife Program and Western Kentucky University Department of Folk Studies and Anthropology.
- 3.7 – It’s 3.7 miles from Southland Christian Church on Richmond Road, where there will be free
parking and shuttle service on Saturday, March 5, to The Market at Lexington Convention Center downtown.
- 5 – Lexington has hosted The Market five consecutive years.
- 9 – This year’s Market includes nine new Kentucky Crafted artists.
- 10 – Paid admission is $10 for one day and $15 for both days. Children 15 and under get in free
with a paid adult admission.
- 11 – Take a driving tour of central Kentucky and see if you can spot our 11 billboards, each
featuring a different piece of artwork, promoting The Market.
- 16 – The Kentucky Stage will feature 16 acts from the arts council’s
Performing Artists Directory.
- 17 – The Market boasts 17 Kentucky Proud food exhibitors, some of whom will offer free samples
at their booths.
- 18 – The Market has earned Top 20 Event accolades from the Southeast
Tourism Society 18 times.
- 26 – There will be 26 Kentucky Crafted artists exhibiting at The Market for the first time.
- 28 – The Kentucky Gallery, a curated shopping experience, is a new feature to The Market and
includes 28 artists from arts council programs.
- 34 – The Market celebrates its 34th year as Kentucky’s premier art and craft marketplace.
- 40 – Kentucky Crafted artists from 40 Kentucky counties are represented in the show.
- 50 – The Kentucky Arts Council celebrates 50 years of service to the Commonwealth in 2016 and is
commemorating that milestone with a special exhibit titled “This is 50” on display exclusively
at Kentucky Crafted: The Market.
The Kentucky Arts Council, the
state arts agency, fosters environments for Kentuckians to value, participate in and benefit from the arts. Kentucky
Arts Council funding is provided by the Kentucky General Assembly and the National Endowment for the Arts. In 2016
the arts council celebrates the 50th anniversary of its establishment by the Kentucky General Assembly.
- ### -