Email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser.
Open to artists with disabilities in Kentucky
CALL FOR ENTRIES
The Kentucky Arts Council invites artists with disabilities to submit work for consideration in the travelling exhibit, identity.
The works selected for the exhibit will be on display at the Weber Gallery in Louisville, Ky., and the Houchens Gallery of the Capitol Arts Center in Bowling Green, Ky. Several pieces will be awarded distinctions of excellence and will also appear in a special exhibition during Kentucky Crafted: The Market in Lexington, Ky. A number of other works will be awarded distinctions of honor and will appear exclusively in the offices of the Kentucky House of Representatives and Senate in the exhibit Kentucky Visions at the Capitol while the Kentucky General Assembly is in session.
Artists with disabilities, age 18 and older, living in Kentucky, are welcome to submit up to three entries each. Being a person with a disability does not need to be central to the artist's identity to participate. The arts council is looking for a mixture of media and style, as well as diversity in opinions about living with a disability.
- There are no submission fees.
- The artist may decide whether or not to offer his/her work(s) for sale. The Weber Gallery and Houchens Gallery will take a 20 percent commission on sales.
- Images provided for the jury process must be in a digital format (i.e., no printed photographs).
- If selected, artists will be expected to provide an artist's statement, and a completed loan agreement form, which will be sent with the acceptance notification.
- Transportation of the artwork to and from the arts council offices or drop-off/pick-up sites is dependent upon the artist. However, all works will be insured while in the possession of the arts council or gallery.
- Titles or prices/insurance value of artwork may not be changed after acceptance to the exhibit. Ensure that you submit the correct title and price/insurance value on the application form.
- Two-dimensional work (including frame) should not exceed 48" on any side (length or width).
- Three-dimensional work must be able to be moved and managed by one person.
- Artists submitting new media work must provide all necessary audio-visual equipment.
- Artwork should not exceed 25 pounds.
- In order to protect the artwork during transportation to and from the exhibit locations, no work will be accepted unless it is securely wrapped and packaged in a box.
|Oct. 25, 2013
||Deadline for submission
|Nov. 1, 2013
||Deadline to submit images to Dropbox
|Nov. 15, 2013
||Artists notified of selection
|Dec. 13, 2013
||Last day for artwork to be delivered or shipped to the arts council offices or brought to a drop-off location (dates and locations TBA)
|Jan. – April, 2014
||Kentucky Visions at the Capitol
|Jan. 17, 2014
||identity opens at the Weber Gallery in Louisville, Ky.
|March 7 – 9, 2014
||Special exhibit at Kentucky Crafted: The Market
|April 11, 2014
||identity opens at the Houchens Gallery at the Capitol Arts Center in Bowling Green, Ky.
|June 30, 2014
||All works must be picked up from the arts council offices or at a pick-up location (dates and locations TBA)
For all submissions:
- Go to artscouncil.ky.gov/Opportunities/identityExhibitRegistration.htm.
- Fill out the application form. Do not press the Enter/Return key while filling in the form, as this will submit the form prematurely. If this happens, you will have to start over and complete another form. If you require an alternative format, please contact Sarah Schmitt at email@example.com or 888-833-2787, ext. 492.
- Within two to three days of finishing the application, you will receive an e-invite to submit digital images to Dropbox, a free, online service for sharing JPEGs and other documents. You will be asked to create a login account, but you will not be required to download software. Instructions on uploading images to Dropbox will be included in the email. Images should be JPEGs at 300 dpi, with the longest side of the image around 10". If you require an alternative format, please contact Sarah Schmitt, arts access director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 888-833-2787, ext. 492.
- Title the image files using the code ID14, followed by the title of the piece. For example, if the piece is titled "Spring Meadow," the file name would be: ID14SpringMeadow.jpeg. If you submit more than one piece that is untitled, label them sequentially, corresponding with the entry number on the application form: ID14Untitled1, ID14Untitled2, etc. Please do not use spaces or underscores in the file name.
Submissions with missing information will be ineligible.
Artists will be notified via email around Nov. 15, 2013, regarding pieces that have been accepted to the exhibit. At that time, artists with accepted work will receive final instructions for delivering or shipping artwork for the exhibit.
Delivering Your Work
The KAC offices are open Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Eastern time. We are located on the 21st floor of the Capital Plaza Tower at 500 Mero St. in Frankfort, Ky.
There will be two drop-off opportunities available at locations around the state.
Contact Sarah Schmitt at email@example.com or 888-833-2787, ext. 492.
This activity is sponsored by The National Endowment for the Arts and the
National Arts and Disability Center at the University of California Los Angeles.