What is it?
The Kentucky Poet Laureate, a position established by the Kentucky General Assembly in 1991, is appointed by the Governor for a two-year term (based on nominations collected by the Kentucky Arts Council) and is expected to travel the state promoting the literary arts at meetings, seminars and conferences.
Writers accomplished in any of the recognized literary forms, including poetry, fiction, biography, creative nonfiction, playwriting, etc., who are Kentucky residents with a long association with the Commonwealth.
What’s the deadline for nominations?
Sept. 30, 2012, at 4:30 p.m. Eastern time (for the 2013-2014 term)
How do I make a nomination?
- Carefully review the program guidelines.
- Complete the nomination form.
- Mail us a printout of your nomination with any supporting materials.
If my nominee is selected, what are his or her responsibilities?
- Serve without salary from Jan. 1, 2013, to Dec., 31, 2014. (The poet laureate will receive a $5,000 honorarium to cover travel expenses.)
- Make a presentation at the annual Kentucky Writers’ Day on April 24 each year of term.
- Promote the literary arts in Kentucky through appearances and readings of his or her work at meetings, seminars and conferences across the state.
- Acknowledge the Kentucky Arts Council when communicating with the public as the poet laureate.
If I have questions, who can help me?
Daniel J. Strauss
Senior Program Analyst
888-833-2787 (toll-free) or
502-564-8110, ext. 474